Monday 29 April 2013

Flowers and fairy tales

An from Straightgrain has made some great clothes and dresses for her daughter.  Her blog  and Pinterest Kids' Clothes Belgian Style pins show an aesthetic that really appeals to me: bright colours, flamboyant prints, and simple style lines with a retro vibe.  I haven't seen clothes like this here (although I don't routinely stalk kids' clothes stores when I am shopping)  and I thought it would be fun to make something similar.  


 I found a print on Spoonflower by Helenklebesadel called prairie garden plenty (http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/115279) and ordered 2 yards in Kona cotton to make my Belgian-inspired dress



  Prairie Garden Plenty

Prairie garden plenty


I used the Oliver + S fairy tale dress pattern and made the sleeveless, collarless version.  




size 4 tapering to size 3 at the waist

I lined the bodice with white poplin





and used an invisible zip in the back... which is out by about 2mm at the waist seamline but luckily is hidden by the busy print!



I followed the pattern for constructing the bodice and I am not sure I like the bias binding around the armscye.  It was also a bit of a fiddle AND required hand sewing for a neat finish.  I think I will do it differently next time and eliminate the binding.  

I didn't add a skirt lining because I was so annoyed by the bodice I just wanted to be finished thought the skirt had enough fullness already.  

Overall, I'm pleased with the finished product and I just love this print!  I have enough fabric left over for another small item so I may make a pair of fun, floral shorts next summer - a blatant copy of the ones featured recently in the flickr photo stream by megamora16.


1 comment:

  1. Great fabric; it looks like expensive, designer wear.
    I'd like to see a photo of the bindings around the armsyce. I think this kind of finish is very RTW

    ReplyDelete