Saturday 16 November 2013

Flower power

I bought the Oliver + S trench coat pattern last year.   I waited for just the 'right' fabric and recently found it - a lightweight coated cotton - at Dots N Stripes.  But with summer fast approaching it didn't really seem like such a good idea to make a trench coat…. so that is exactly what I did!


size 5

 back 

I made view A and the only change I made was to add a belt buckle that I found in a fabulous little button shop in Tokyo


Isn't this just the perfect buckle for this material?

My first attempt at the pockets was not good enough - I wanted them to be perfectly shaped - so I recut the fabric and used freezer paper templates to make a second set.  These turned out more to my liking but, of course, it is hard to see them in this busy print.



I also used covered buttons because I didn't want them to clash or detract from the buckle





I didn't try to fussy cut the pattern pieces because the material is so busy but I wish I had staggered the front pieces a little so that the large yellow and blue flowers are not so close together.  Never mind, perhaps the next time I make something out of this fabric I will be a little more careful.


 Oliver   S secret agent trench coat


In keeping with the bright floral theme, I also sewed an Oliver + S ice cream dress from a groovy Michael Miller print called Peace Flowers.


size 4 

This was quick to sew particularly as I didn't add the pockets (just too lazy) and I combined the top and bottom panels of the dress when I was cutting out.  I bought this fabric to make this dress but now I am not so sure I like it.  Perhaps, I will use a neutral linen next time I sew this pattern.





1 comment:

  1. Terrific trench coat. Can you do one in a women's size 6-8?

    ReplyDelete