I didn't want to do any smocking (because I knew if I did, this coat would have ended up with the two smocked dresses I haven't yet finished - the first started in 2000 and the other, more recently, in 2007) so I hunted the pattern collection.
In this Japanese pattern book
I found this coat
So, I made the 110cm size and added pink velvet piping between the yoke and front and back pieces
pleated front panels
pleated back panel
The facings were finished with matching pink bias binding. I was going to finish all of the seams with bias binding but I am lazy, and the seams were just too bulky and didn't look as tidy as the overlocker edge finish.
And yet more pink....
Side seam pocket. The corduroy is a deep navy, not grey like this photo.
After I attached the collar and the facings I realised that I had placed the collar all the way around the neckline and beyond the centre front marking (although if these were indicated on the pattern when I traced off the pieces, I wouldn't know!). Because of my boo boo I wasn't able to close the coat with a decorative button at the neckline because the collar pieces overlapped. So I sewed 3 hidden snaps to the facings instead.
this photo is a better colour match
and 2 snaps were added to the cuffs
And when this coat was finished, I started working on a jacket for a friend's 10 year old daughter. It is still a work in progress
"Paris" short wool jacket
No. 30 Ottobre 6/2007
although here is another field trip t-shirt I recently completed