Tuesday, 5 July 2011

The contest coat

I started working on this coat on Sunday and it is almost finished.  The pattern is number 17 "Rosy Red" velveteen coat from Ottobre 6/2008.  The original coat is made out of velveteen with batting between it and the lining.  I chose to use one of the pieces of fabric I bought in Melbourne which I think is probably a wool/cashmere mix.  At any rate, it drapes beautifully and has been great to sew.  I used a patterned cotton for the lining and decided not to use batting

The buttons are not attached yet - just pinned in place - and I am undecided as to whether I make buttonholes (and risk making a mess on the front!) or sew domes on the inside instead.  I think the coat needs the buttons whatever I do.

I found some suitable domes at Fabric Vision today and they are a good size and should be easy for little hands to manage

I have added some ric rac between the centre and side front panels, along the hood edge, and on the back

(The pockets are hidden between the panel seams and under the ric rac)

I think the lining fabric complements the rest of the coat but it isn't too conservative or 'expected'

The coat needs a gentle steam and the buttons, and then it is finished.  I can't wait to see the little girl it is intended for in the coat but I suspect it will be too big for this winter but hopefully will be a good fit for next.

I have also made her a skirt  (back view).

front view

This was from a Japanese pattern book.  The book is written in Japanese but the diagramatic instructions are easy to follow.  The skirt was very easy to make, although my perfectionist tendencies meant that it took a lot longer to sew than it should have!

No comments:

Post a Comment