Monday, 8 July 2013

A little green bolero

This is the Heidi and Finn Ruffle bolero 


I used a cotton velveteen remnant for the main fabric (from Global Fabrics in Christchurch before the  shop disappeared as a result of the 2011 earthquakes) and a sateen gingham for the lining.

Opened bolero showing lining

I thought I would use a gathering foot I purchased for my Bernina machine specifically to gather the metres of ruffle on this top and save myself time, but having parted with my $$ I discovered the special foot only works for single fabric layers!  Grrrr....

Instead of an elastic button loop I made a small fabric loop out of the velveteen

Button loop>

and used a covered button on the opposite side.

The sleeves were nicely finished with the lining enclosed by the sleeve hem


Overall, a very quick project (even by my standards!) and a great way to use up some left-overs